Fire Safety - The Landlord Responsibilities under the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (“the 1988 Act”) sets minimum levels of fire resistance for domestic upholstered furniture. When letting out furnished property the landlord must ensure that all the furnishings provided by them meet the minimum levels under the 1988 Act. The only exemptions to this are landlords who are only letting a temporary basis. The regulations under the 1988 Act (“the Regulations”) will apply only if the letting is for a longer period or is one of a series of let’s and where the property is regarded primarily as a sort of income rather than as a home. The Regulations apply to all persons who supply furniture and furnishings in connection with accommodation in the course of business and in general this will include not only landlords, but also letting agents and managing agents.

Fire Safety - The Landlord's Responsibilities under the Housing Act 2004

The law relating to fire safety in residential p Act 2004 Tremises is governed by the following statutes: The Housinghe Regulatory (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (“FSO”). The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (“the FFSR”) The Housing Act 2004 introduced the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (“HHSRH”) which is an assessment scheme used by the local authorities to assess the likely hazards present within a residential property.

Getting Permission to Let Property

Owning the property does not automatically mean that you may let the property to tenants. If for example, you have a mortgage or do not own the freehold to the property you may need to ask for permission to let the property.

Houses of Multiple Occupation: HMO Licence Conditions

The Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (England) Regulations 2006 (“the Regulations”) sets down specific duties that must be performed by the manager of an HMO. Failure to comply with the regulations is a criminal offense leading to fines of up to £5000.

Houses of Multiple Occupation: Minimum Standards of Accommodation

When granting a licence for an HMO the Local Authority will impose set minimum standards of accommodation. These standards may vary slightly from one Local Authority to another but are largely similar throughout England and Wales. As a rough guide the minimum standards are:

Houses of Multiple Occupation: Types of HMO Licensing

Under the HMO licensing regulations there are 3 types of HMO licensing these are: Mandatory Licensing; Additional Licensing; and Selective Licensing.

Houses of Multiple Occupation: What Is House of Multiple Occupation (“HMO”)?

The Housing Act 2004 introduced a new regime of licensing of residential properties that were being let to more than one person with shared facilities, typically large buildings converted into bedsits or flats. Under the new regime these properties were classed as Houses in Multiple Occupation (“HMOs”).

Investing in Buy to Let Property

When making the decision to invest in a buy to let property there are several things you need to consider: The amount of money you can afford to invest in the buy to let property The type of property to buy. The type of tenant you are going to rent the property to. The area in which you are going to by the buy to let property.

Landlord Insurance

Renting out a property to tenants will exposes a landlord to extra risks and liabilities over and above those covered by the usual home and buildings insurance. Additional risks and liabilities may include:

The Landlord's Responsibility for Repairs

In general terms the landlord’s responsibility for repairs covers items that make up the structure and exterior of the property (including the roof, foundations, gas ring, chimneys, plasterwork, walls, windows and doors), and all equipment required for the supply of utilities to the property (pipes, drains, gas pipes, and electricity conduits, water, flues, ventilation and so on).

Recovery Fire Safety - The Landlord’s Responsibilities under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (“FSO”) introduced fire safety duties in respect of common areas of Houses of Multiple Occupation (“HMO”)s, flats and maisonettes. The duties are placed on the “Responsible Person” (being defined as “the person who has control of the premises in connection with the carrying on of a trade, business or other undertaking”). In terms of residential rental property this will usually be the landlord although where the landlord is not directly involved in the day-to-day management this may be the managing agent.

Tenancies - Deposits

When letting a property it is important to charge a deposit. A deposit is a sum of money which is taken from the tenant at the start of the tenancy, to cover costs such as: damage to the property and/or furniture and fittings, outstanding debts that may be attached to the property, failure of the tenant to keep the property in a clean and decorative state, rent arrears, costs arising from other breaches of tenancy.

Vacant Possession Part I- When Can I move into my new home?

Vacant possession is at the core of the most common question posed by a client when buying a property - ‘When can I move in to my new house?’

Vacant Possession Part III: What if Vacant Possession is not Given?

In ‘Vacant Possession Part I- When Can I move into my new home?’, we looked at how in the sale of a residential property, the seller must give the buyer vacant possession before the buyer can move in to their new property.

What is Meant by Rental Yield?

Put simply, rental yield is the amount of profit that you can expect to make on a buy-to-let property having taken account of all the costs in maintaining and running property. The rental yield is usually expressed as percentage of the purchase price of the property.


Social Media